Very few families of pizza chefs have pass through XIX and XX centurys to the present day to pass on to the future generations the experiences and the memories. The Mattozzi family is one of them which founded the Restaurant Pizzeria in Largo Carità( today Piazza Salvo D’Acquisto) more than 150 years ago. Today with Paolo Surace we are at the fourth generation of pizza chefs.
The restaurant in Piazza Carità was started in 1833 under the name of “Le stanze di Piazza Carità” run by Antonio La Vecchia and it was frequented by the intellectuals of the city, like Francesco De Sanctis, one of the most important critics of of XIX century Italian literature.
After the Mattozzi generations in 1959 the business was bought by Alfredo Surace which had been the maitre d’ of the Pizzeria Mattozzi in Via Marchese di Campodisola since 1930.
He started the venture with his wife, Concetta Perrone, and their sons Franco and Lello.